Thursday, January 29, 2015

Peace Flowed In Rich Abundance - Thursday Devotionals


“In Passion Week, as I was reading Bishop Wilson on the Lord’s Supper, I met with an expression to this effect – “That the Jews knew what they did, when they transferred their sins to the head of their offering”. The thought came into my mind, What, may I transfer all my guilt to another? Has God provided an Offering for me, that I may lay my sins on His head? Then, God willing, I will not bear them on my own soul one moment longer.

Accordingly I sought to lay my sins upon the sacred head of Jesus; and on the Wednesday began to have a hope of mercy; on the Thursday that hope increased; on the Friday and Saturday it became more strong; and on the Sunday morning, Easter-day, April 4, I awoke early with those words upon my heart and lips, “Jesus Christ is risen today! Hallelujah! Hallelujah!”

From that hour peace flowed in rich abundance into my soul; and at the Lord’s Table in our Chapel I had the sweetest access to God through my blessed Saviour.”
Charles Simeon


Do you feel yourself a depraved creature?

So depraved that you would never have thought of turning to God, if God had not first put it into your heart?

Do you utterly despair of recommending yourself to God by anything you can do?

Do you look for salvation solely through the blood and righteousness of Christ?


“Early rising did not appeal to his natural tendency to self-indulgence, however, especially on dark winter mornings… On several occasions he overslept, to his considerable chagrin. So he determined that if ever he did it again, he would pay a fine of half a crown to his “bedmaker” (collage servant).

A few days later, he found himself reflecting that the good woman was poor and could probably do with half a crown. So, to overcome such rationalizations, he vowed that next time he would throw a guinea into the river.

This (the story goes) he duly did, but only once, for guineas were scarce; he could not afford to use them to pave the river bed with gold.”
H.C.G. Moule about Charles Simeon


Supposing you were at first saved by Christ, are you not somehow or other to save yourself afterwards by your own works?

Or are you to be saved by Christ from first to last?

Are you then to be upheld every hour and every moment by God?

As much as an infant in its mother’s arms?


Is all your hope in the grace and mercy of God to preserve you onto His heavenly kingdom?



This post is part of Thursday Devotionals series. Right now it is going through the life, work and faith of Charles Simeon.

Would you like to read the first part, Are You Ready To Suffer For Christ?

You might also enjoy the second part of the series, Growing Downward.

I also recommend the thrird part for the children of this generation called, All Consuming Interest.

The fourth part is called, Peace Flowed In Rich Abundance.

If you have not yet read the fifth part , This Sweet Hope.

Take some time to read the sixth part also, Blessed Are The Peacemakers.

Hope you will enjoy reading the seventh part, A Double Blessing To Your Ministry.

Are you willing for, A Little Suffering For Christ's Sake.

2 comments:

  1. Such rich quotes you have shared. Beautiful thoughts to ponder and consider. Thank you!
    Blessings,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete