Thursday, January 16, 2014

You are beautiful



When I was a teenager I hated it when people would call me beautiful.

Secretly I loved it, but I had such a problem with selfesteem and accepting myself for who I was.

That I was not sure if I could trust them.

what is mankind that you are mindful of them,
    human beings that you care for them?
You have made them a little lower than the angels
    and crowned them with glory and honor.
You made them rulers over the works of your hands;
    you put everything under their feet:
all flocks and herds,
    and the animals of the wild,
Psalm 8:4-7
New International Version (NIV)
What if they are just saying it to make me believe it and then they are going to laugh at me for falling.

What if it's only a big lie.

When my parents told me that I was beautiful, I could not believe it.

They were my parents, obviously they were going to call me beautiful, it was their job to do so.

Ecclesiastes 3:11(NIV)
He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the human heart; yet no one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end.
Now I'm closing to my fourties, I have a son and I am nothing like I was when I was young.

But I can finnally pass a window or see myself from a mirror, and think, I am beautiful.

Without a doubt.

Because I have learned to love myself.

I have learned to accept myself for who I am.

13 For you created my inmost being;
    you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
    your works are wonderful,
    I know that full well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you
    when I was made in the secret place,
    when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
Psalm 139:13-15
New International Version (NIV)


I know that I am not perfect but I know that I was made by God, planned by Him, done exactly like He wanted me to be, perfect as myself.

When He chose between all the possibilites, all the children my parents could have had, He chose me.

He made it possible for me to be born, He gave me the spark of life and He wispered me into existence.

He made me for His purpose, He needed me, He wanted me, He set me apart and made me holy.

“Before I formed you in the womb I knew you,
    before you were born I set you apart;
    I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.”
Jeremiah 1:5
New International Version (NIV)

I am as perfect as I can be, as beautiful as only a perfect God can make.
 And because of Him, I shine.

There is a light in me that only exists because I exist.

No one else could be me.

And no one else can be you.

How beautiful you are, my darling! Oh, how beautiful! Your eyes are doves.
Song of Songs 1:15 (NIV)

You were made perfect, and called apart, in all the possibilites that existed.

You were called to be born.

You are perfect and holy.

You are beautiful. 

This post is featured in Woman to Woman World Filled Wednesday Linkup.

22 comments:

  1. I have always loved the Psalm 139:13-15 verses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw so sweet. I know that we can be our worst critics, and that leads to little self esteem! We are all beautiful :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen! He has formed us in such a unique, priceless manner. You ARE His Masterpiece!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so true! We are too hard on ourselves!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly it is so, Jennifer. We need to learn to love ourselves and show ourselves some compassion.

      Delete
  5. As a teenager, it's a double-edged sword. If you acknowledge your beauty then you're considered a snob. If you downplay it, then you are selling yourself short. I hope my girls find a way to see their own beauty and acknowledge it with grace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true, Nicole. It is hard for the girls, even more so with all the photoshopped perfect beauties. But they need to find themselves and see themselves through love.

      Delete
  6. Why do girls have to be so hard on themselves?? I wish everyone could see their true beauty. We are are fearfully and wonderfully made! Amen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Michele. We need to show compassion to ourselves also.

      Delete
  7. You are beautiful too! God looks at the heart not the outward appearance. We are beautiful because we are made in His image!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The best way to over come low self esteem is to start hearing when people say nice things about you. Once you start hearing then you can start believing the positive things. You are beautiful. Accept it and enjoy it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true, Onica. Sadly not everyone has a person in their life who cares enough to tell them good things about them.

      Delete
  9. this is a beautiful post. look at those precious faces. beauty is in everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Candice. You are right, there is beauty in everything and everyone.

      Delete
  10. This was so beautiful! I hope all women can learn to love themselves for who they are and think they are beautiful because they are.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful pictures! I think we are all beautiful!

    Michelel F.

    ReplyDelete